Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Purpose of a cap in a diff amp

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Purpose of a cap in a diff amp

Postby timlein » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:12 pm

What is the purpose of C6 in this diff amp circuit?

I have been told it's an RF filter consisting of R6 and C6.

If true, what formula do I use to determine the turnover frequency of that filter?

Reason I'm asking is that the amp had too much gain and I changed R6 to 4.2K to reduce the gain. Since I changed R6, do I now need to change C6? If yes, how do I determine what value to change C6 to?
Attachments
DualDiffAmp.jpg
DualDiffAmp.jpg (291.92 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
timlein

Re: Purpose of a cap in a diff amp

Postby pebe » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:40 pm

R6 and C6 form a low-pass filter. The turnover frequency is the frequency where the reactance (Z) of C6 = R6. (Z of a cap = 1/[6.28 x f x C]). So with those values the frequency is about 106KHz. Above that frequency the reactance of C6 reduces and effectively forms a shunt across R6 and lowers the gain of the stage.

If you reduce R6 to 4.2K then you need to increase C6 to 350pF to keep the turnover frequency the same.
pebe

Re: Purpose of a cap in a diff amp

Postby timlein » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:57 pm

pebe wrote:R6 and C6 form a low-pass filter. The turnover frequency is the frequency where the reactance (Z) of C6 = R6. (Z of a cap = 1/[6.28 x f x C]). So with those values the frequency is about 106KHz. Above that frequency the reactance of C6 reduces and effectively forms a shunt across R6 and lowers the gain of the stage.

If you reduce R6 to 4.2K then you need to increase C6 to 350pF to keep the turnover frequency the same.

Thanks for the explanation and the calculations! Will change C6 to 350pF.
timlein

Return to Electronic Circuits Help