Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

beating heart pulse

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

beating heart pulse

Postby ardorban » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:19 pm

This is a very interesting and potentially enormously helpful project for a small girl who is in recovery from a heart condition due to a virus. What has been advised would help is a small device that can be put into a soft toy that will actually beat a like a heart at chosen frequencies.

I am a beginner at this but could solder a circuit together if someone could help.

So I imagine an oscillator that then would feed some sort of vibration device - it needs to pulse/ vibrate/ beat - rather than just be an audio frequency - so not sure what this is. But all help and suggestions gratefully received.
:):):)
ardorban

Re: beating heart pulse

Postby pebe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:11 pm

A circuit could be made to pulse something like this, if it could be modified for your use.
What are you mechanical skills like?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5V-6V-MINAT ... 5d3355f171
pebe

Postby ardorban » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Thank you for replying. I was thinking that would be great or perhaps something like:

http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/vib ... ion-motors

I will try the dole our suggestion please can you suggest a suitable circuit? I am a beginner but could solder something together. So grateful for your help?
ardorban

Postby ardorban » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Yes that would be great, please could you suggest a suitable circuit?
ardorban

Postby pebe » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:30 am

I looked at your link for motor drives. The one shown needed to be driven with a sine wave at its resonant frequency. You need a pulse at a rate of about 60-140 pulses per minute to simulate a child's beating heart. Because of the high resonant frequency of the motor you would not be able to give it a pulse of longer than half a cycle, but that would be too short to be felt. So I think the solenoid would be the best bet.

I have sent a question to the supplier of the solenoid asking for more details. As soon as I find out the best way to drive it I will draw up a circuit for you.
pebe

Postby ardorban » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:09 pm

wow - how very kind of you - thank you. Can we make it so the frequency is variable to a degree. One of the issues is that here heart is beating too fast and they wan to use this as an aid to slowing down - they are already using a metronome but this is not very toddler friendly -hence the project. I am a beginner to this but could solder it all together - I thought a 555 timer would be the basis - but I am probably wrong.

Thank you again
ardorban

Postby pebe » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:07 pm

OK. I have now found out from the supplier that their solenoid does not have a return spring; ie. the plunger floats free. There is a hole through the plunger that can be fitted with a pin to retain a washer, and a light spring or disc of lightweight foam rubber could be fitted between it and the coil to keep the plunger extended. The washer would then become the diaphragm whose movement will be seen/felt. The magnets should be removed.

The attached circuit is of the LM555 timer. The ‘on’ time of the solenoid is determined by C1, R1 and the diode. The ‘off’ time is determined by C1, R1 and the potentiometer R2. Therefore R2 will control the overall time of the beat; but the ‘on’ period will stay the same.

With R2 in its mid position, the solenoid will be pulsed on once every 0.77sec, ie. at a rate of 78 beats per min – about the same as a child’s heart rate. The solenoid will be on for about 0.1sec each beat, so the average current through the solenoid should be about 15mA. The supply for the 555 is 4.5Vmin, so if the device is to be battery powered, 4 x AA cells should be used. They can be AA Ni-HM rechargeables. If size is a consideration, then batteries could be reduced to 2 x 14500 (AA size) Li-Ion rechargeable cells at 3.7V each. If you go that route, the Li-Ions should be the ‘protected’ type to prevent over-discharge.

I hope that is what you want. If you want any further details of the circuit, please let me know.
Attachments
555 pulse solenoid.GIF
555 pulse solenoid.GIF (3.45 KiB) Viewed 24587 times
pebe

Postby ardorban » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:29 am

How exiting, thank you, I will let you know how it goes . You are very kind.
ardorban

Postby pebe » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:30 pm

I am pleased to have been of help to you.
pebe

Postby ardorban » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi - sorry to bother - but circuit does not work - the solenoid just stays activated - does not pulse (have removed magnets etc) - can C1 be electrolytic?
ardorban

Postby pebe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Yes, C1 can be electrolytic - no bother.

I am surprised it does not work. I have used that type of oscillator dozens of times without a problem.

Can you disconnect the solenoid and temporarily replace it with an LED in series with a 470ohm resistor. (anode of LED to pin3)? The LED should flash briefly every 0.7seconds.
pebe

Postby pebe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:28 am

How are you getting on with the problem?
pebe

Postby ardorban » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:11 pm

I will try with led tonight, thank you for following up. Solenoid itself is fine. I also have a spare chip so will try that and get back to you.
ardorban

Postby pebe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:45 pm

I have had another thought. As the solenoid was originally fitted with magnets, I wonder if the plunger has become magnetized. If so, your spring may not be powerful enough to withdraw the plunger, so giving the impression that it is still energised.
pebe

Postby ardorban » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Hiya
well - am still on this and still not working - on a breadboard- not driving an led so someting wrong with cicruit (or more probably how I have wired it) - the led works as have tested separately pins 5 and 7 from the 555 don't connect to anything right - varioable resistor is a mini one - diodes are correct way round
:( :( :(
ardorban

Next

Return to Electronic Circuits Help