Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Current sensing circuit with LT1495 : need help

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Current sensing circuit with LT1495 : need help

Postby radioactive1014 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi,
I am designing a circuit for my University project which involved measuring the current drawn by the load. I am using LT1495 rail to rail opamp. I have attached the circuit here. It's a simple differential amplifier with 4 resistors. Circuit works fine when the current is higher than .34 A. Whenever the current goes below .34 it can't sense anymore ( the output remains .34 ).

current_sensing.png
current_sensing.png (22.34 KiB) Viewed 5687 times

I would appreciate if anyone can help me solving the problem. Another thing is as I am on deadline I already ordered the PCB (it was very stupid of me ). so I can't change the circuit but all I can do is to change the value of the resistors. Is it possible to make it work?

Thanks for your help in advance.
radioactive1014

Re: Current sensing circuit with LT1495 : need help

Postby pebe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:19 pm

There is nothing wrong with your circuit.

I assume that it is battery powered, so there is complete galvanic insulation between supply and input.

If so, there appears to be a 34mV offset on the +ve input relative to the -ve input. The maximum offset in the data sheet is 375µV so it's way out of limit. Is there any way in your physical layout that there could be a leak between the +Vsupply and the +input?.
pebe

Re: Current sensing circuit with LT1495 : need help

Postby pebe » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:47 am

Just a further thought. It could be that you have AC ripple on the input. That would give a sine wave centred on 0V. As the output cannot go negative relative to the -ve supply rail, you would be measuring the mean voltage of the positive peaks.

You could prove the point by disconnecting the input wires to the 0.1ohm sensor resistor.
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help