Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Overcharged Protected Li-Ion?

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Overcharged Protected Li-Ion?

Postby johnyradio » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:23 am

Ok, i know you guys are going to laugh at me for even attmpting to do this, but here goes:

i purchased this battery. from a us-based vendor.

http://r.ebay.com/TNTDiK

i checked the battery voltages on delivery. All were about 3.7 volts. Good sign.

i peeled away the base of one of the batteries, and indeed there was a little circuit board, with a conductor running up the side of the battery to the top.

i connected FOUR of these batteries in series. They gave 15.7 volts.

then i connected a 19 volt wall wart to the ends. after 15 minutes the batteries were warm, not hot. i disconnected, and the pack gave over 17 volts! That's too high-- a 4-pack should max at 16.8 V.

i checked each battery-- 3 batteries were under 4.2 V, but one battery measured 4.9 volts!

How could a protected battery charge to 4.9 V?

thx
johnyradio

Re: Overcharged Protected Li-Ion?

Postby pebe » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:20 am

I hope you did not tamper with the little PCB at the end of the battery. That is there to prevent the cell from being overcharged!

When you say you disconnected, I assume you mean disconnected the wall wart from the mains supply. Then it is probably because the cell is charged and the PCB has cut off the supply to it, and you are reading the volts across the capacitor in the wall wart - less the voltage of the other 3 cells.

Whatever happened to the charger that was the subject of your other thread?
pebe

Postby johnyradio » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:18 am

pebe wrote:because the cell is charged and the PCB has cut off the supply to it, and you are reading the volts across the capacitor in the wall wart - less the voltage of the other 3 cells.

no, i am measuring battery voltage each cell independently, separate from the other cells or the charger.

Whatever happened to the charger that was the subject of your other thread?

i received these batteries and had to test em. If they work, this is my preferred method (instead of a pcb in that other thread).

would be awesome if someone could recommend a reputable source of not-overpriced li-ions.
johnyradio

Postby pebe » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:56 am

I cannot account for your over-voltage cell. It doesn't seem to make sense.

The price you paid for 8cells is quite good - I just paid £5 for two of the same make. UltraFire is a good make and they have overcharging protection circuitry built in. There is a lot of cheap rubbish out there, so 'not-overpriced' ones may not be good value for money.
pebe

Postby johnyradio » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:20 am

ha, the vendor just gave me a full refund, when i asked why it charged past 4.2 v. He said "occasional bad battery!". what the....?

i found this "false plates without any protection function". They are identical to the plates on the bottoms of these batteries.
http://bit.ly/1dfEL0K

Question, can that 4.9V cell explode on the shelf?
johnyradio

Postby pebe » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:16 am

You may find this link interesting.
http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/battery%2 ... %20UK.html

If I were you I would discharge the cell with a suitable resistor and then dispose of it.
pebe

Postby johnyradio » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:02 pm

pebe wrote:You may find this link interesting.
http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/battery%2 ... %20UK.html

thx! i am familiar with that page, it's very informative. but i dont think it will help me with this problem.
johnyradio

Return to Electronic Circuits Help