Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Need help fixing/understanding rotary grill

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Need help fixing/understanding rotary grill

Postby Niels » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi, I got an old professional rotary grill from my butcher. The thing was realy good when he bought it. And you've not tasted chicken untill you got it from under a nice grill.

But it has a short. I messured the power cable, and with the switch full on, 0 Ohms.
I disassembled it and messured the individual components.
The 3 heating elements all gave me about 50 Ohms, wich I thought was good.
The thermostat works and doesn't have a short.
The timer is just a switch, which works fine.
There are some indicator lights and some resistors, all measure the indicated values.
The motor gives me about 5k, also not a short.

The one thing I am unsure of is the power switch. It has 3 modes, all off, and two different selections for the grills. I took the switch out and measured what it does in the 3 modes. But it makes no sence to me. It has 6 pins. In mode 1, pins 4/5 and 2/3 connect. In mode 2 nothing connects. In mode 3 pins 5/6 and 1/2 connect.

I rewired the lot the same way it was before (I took pictures, I am sure it is exactly wired as before), but this time outside the big metal casing. Again, in any of the on modes it gives a short.

I made a diagram for myself to help me understand what is wrong. But I can not figure out how the thing is supposed to work. It's been a while for me working with this kind of stuff. It's not complicated, but I just can't work it out. I even run a simulation, but nothing mutch happens and I do not understand the readings I got. I guess it's been too long for me.

Can somebody explain to me if there is something really wrong with the wireing.
And if possible, can somebody give me an alternate wireing?
I'm in the Netherlands, so I've got 240V going trough that thing. The rating is 1600W.
I made a screenshot of my diagram.
Attachments
oven.jpg
oven.jpg (76.32 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
Niels

Return to Electronic Circuits Help