Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Solar Powered RC Car

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Solar Powered RC Car

Postby Gills347 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Fourm,

I'm in an engineering class at my high school and have gone through a basic electronics class, but am still a little confused on how to make this project.

I'm trying to make a solar powered RC car with old RC parts. I bought a solar panel at Radioshack that's rated at .5W and 6V. The motor that I'm trying to connect it to comes with a 4.5V battery and that gives it plenty of power. My question is how do I get enough power to be able to make this car go a decent speed? How should I connect the panels to achieve the power that I want? Apparently I was wrong when I thought that a 6V solar panel is the same as a 6V battery.

As of right now, I can barely get the panel to turn on an LED, and there is no response from the motor.

Any help is appreciated!

Photo on 10-27-13 at 4.20 PM #2.jpg
Motor (Off of Losi Micro T)
Photo on 10-27-13 at 4.20 PM #2.jpg (143.35 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
Attachments
Photo on 10-27-13 at 4.20 PM.jpg
Photo on 10-27-13 at 4.20 PM.jpg (166.13 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
Gills347

Re: Solar Powered RC Car

Postby ShawnLuna » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:29 am

Gills347 wrote:Hi Fourm,

I'm in an engineering class at my high school and have gone through a basic electronics class, but am still a little confused on how to make this project.

I'm trying to make a solar powered RC car with old RC parts. I bought
solar panels at Radioshack that's rated at .5W and 6V. The motor that I'm trying to connect it to comes with a 4.5V battery and that gives it plenty of power. My question is how do I get enough power to be able to make this car go a decent speed? How should I connect the panels to achieve the power that I want? Apparently I was wrong when I thought that a 6V solar panel is the same as a 6V battery.

As of right now, I can barely get the panel to turn on an LED, and there is no response from the motor.

Any help is appreciated!

Photo on 10-27-13 at 4.20 PM #2.jpg

Were you able to sort out the issue? I would love to get similar set up in my car so please share more information..
ShawnLuna

Return to Electronic Circuits Help