Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Automotive Switching Problem

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Automotive Switching Problem

Postby Accident94 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:02 am

g'day all.

i'm mid way through an attempt to wire spotlights into my car. i want to use the stock switches, but they are not what you would call a simple thing to understand or use. i mocked the switch up in LTSpice, and have added, in MS paint, approximately what i would like it to do. (left of pic attached)

Basically, it's a non-latching momentary switch that shares a common ground with an indicator LED and a backlight LED. i believe it also switches to ground. i want that momentary switch to toggle a on on/off switch, which is then fed to the 12v automotive relay AND back to the indicator light.

i have just recently (like as i type this) figured out that i can, if necessary, adjust the internal electronics of the switch so that the switch is completely independent of the indicator LED and backlight (diagram on right of attatched pic)

i'm a bit stumped. i would have thought that my recent revelation about the switch would make it simpler, by dint of not having to deal with the switch-to-ground bit....
what remains is how to get a signal from the 'on' state back through the indicator light that shares a ground with the backlight that is on another circuit entirely. that, and how to turn the momentary power supplied by the switch into a constant on/off state toggled by the momentary switch that can then be fed into the automotive relay

cheers for any help in advance,
Matt
Attachments
Untitled640.png
Untitled640.png (50.26 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
Accident94

Return to Electronic Circuits Help