Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

(-) battery connected to bicycle frame?

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

(-) battery connected to bicycle frame?

Postby monkeyisland3g » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi,
I'd like to create a led-light system for my bicycle, composed by front&rear light and turn-lights and a horn. I got the components from motorbike's aftermarket, all of them working with 12V.

The question is if I can connect the negative lead of the battery (RC 11.1V 8C 900MAH LIPO) to the bicycle aluminium frame (as if ground). Is there any inconvenience? any tip or advice? thanks!!

Ps: thanks to the guy who answered about flash strobe this morning, was really useful!!!
monkeyisland3g

Re: (-) battery connected to bicycle frame?

Postby filtech » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:10 am

Hi, I am sure it will work cant see why not, the old dinamo system that was on bicycles used the frame for the earth.
filtech

Postby I_Daniel » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:05 pm

When considering the fact that the alternator which runs either on the bicycle wheel or is built-in into the front-wheel hub then you find that the one pole is connected to the frame and the other to the light.

Check the nut that holds the saddle / saddle-pin to the frame. You could use a large enough washer type connector to connect the battery minus onto that bolt. Just make sure it has a good connection.

The "loose" alternator's one connection is usually done through the clamp to the frame/front fork..
I_Daniel

Postby monkeyisland3g » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:51 pm

Many thanks!
monkeyisland3g

Return to Electronic Circuits Help