Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Amplifying Audio Signal from 3.5mm input

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Amplifying Audio Signal from 3.5mm input

Postby arthur106 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:52 am

Howdy!
I'm working on a project and want to have an auxiliary input that can power two speakers (each rated for 80W and impedance of 6 Ohms). It doesn't necessarily have to produce 80W of power, but I want it to be significantly louder than it is now without noticeable audio distortion. I am powering my system with the atx power supply from a computer.
How can I build a circuit that will amplify the audio signal from the 3.5mm input jack as much as possible using what I have? I figure that I'll have to buy some kind of op amp??
Is there anything that is relatively cheap (and small) that I can buy online that will do what I want?

I'm only about to be a sophomore mechanical engineering major, so my understanding of circuits is pretty basic.

Thanks in advance!
arthur106

Re: Amplifying Audio Signal from 3.5mm input

Postby JMACgyver » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Yes, there is a simple component and circuit that will do that for you.

It is the LM386, available almost anywhere, and pretty cheap as well.

Here is a good page with a couple simple circuit diagrams and detailed explanations (but not too technically overwhelming).

http://tinyurl.com/simple-amp

Regards,
--Electro--
aka The Other David
"In Theory, the is no difference between practice and theory. In Practice, there is."
JMACgyver

Return to Electronic Circuits Help