Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

AC/DC Power supply with no neutral ???

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

AC/DC Power supply with no neutral ???

Postby rmjr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:59 pm

Hello,

I am working on a home automation device where I need low powered electronics within the electrical box of a household switch. Typically we have the line and the neutral wires available in the box. Therefore a small AC/DC power supply would use the existing 120VAC line as the input to a 5VDC power source as shown in #1 of my attachment. The power supply I would use is the following:

http://www.micropowerdirect.com/Page...%20MPM02V.html

The only problem is that sometimes in my switch box I don't have the line and the neutral wires!! In this case I only have the line and a return wire which will connect to the light. However, in this case, I still need my power supply in the switch box to provide the +5VDC as shown in diagram #2 of my attachment!

I have heard that such issues are possible by using the line wire only. My question is:

- Can someone explain to me how this can be done?
- Does someone know of any off-the shelf power supplies that would handle this connection!

Thanks all for your help
Attachments
PWRSUPPLYCNF.jpg
PWRSUPPLYCNF.jpg (95.79 KiB) Viewed 4737 times
rmjr

Re: AC/DC Power supply with no neutral ???

Postby electroyas » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:45 pm

This problem occured to me too, is there any method to resolve this issue? Apart from line and ground which will go off the trip swich probably..
-------------------------------------
Life is a great mystery
electroyas

Return to Electronic Circuits Help