Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Sound Sensitive LED Sequencer

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Sound Sensitive LED Sequencer

Postby ClncyFshSlayer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:17 am

I have a circuit that I designed and it has been giving me total fits to get working. It runs off an electret mic, that runs though a high pass filter, then is sent through an LM358 op amp to boost the signal by roughly 100X, then through a switching diode acting as a max voltage sensor and into another op amp used as a comparator, then to a decade counter to advance 1 LED per beat of the music.

I can get the circuit to work, however is does not follow the beat well and it appears that multiple LEDs light at the same time. Any help on this circuit would be great. A better schematic or PCB layout would be amazing.

The whole idea is to sequence 10 strings of 4 to 6 LEDs with the music using a 12V 4.2A computer power supply, preferably using direct audio input from the back of a stereo, but a mic will work too.

Here is a video of what I want to make this circuit do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fklG4tEXsDg
Attachments
Dancing LEDs.jpg
Schematic
Dancing LEDs.jpg (243.58 KiB) Viewed 6079 times
ClncyFshSlayer

Re: Sound Sensitive LED Sequencer

Postby pebe » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:45 pm

I think your problem is that noise and unwanted higher frequencies are getting rectified and are triggering the counter. You could try reducing them by fitting a 100nF cap in parallel with the 100K feedback resistor of the first LM358.

You are probably also losing some low frequencies at the input to that amp. You might like to increase the 0.1uF coupling to 1uF.
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help