Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Help with audio output signals

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Help with audio output signals

Postby brentduke » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Hey guys. This is my first time posting here. I need help. I am using a SSR (solid state relay) to turn on and off a set of lights from the signal from my audio receiver. The problem is that the signal from my receiver is not strong enough to trigger the relay unless the volume is turned all the way up! With that said. Is there a way to increase the (variable) output by like 5 volts or so? I don't really know what to do. I attached a picture I found on the internet of what I am basically doing. Its very simple....Sort of....

Lights-Simple2.jpg
Lights-Simple2.jpg (86.37 KiB) Viewed 12882 times
Forever Fun!
brentduke

Re: Help with audio output signals

Postby Thomas W » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:14 pm

What type of solid state relay are you using? (Brand / model)
The picture says "... outputs" but I assume the relay is only connected to 1 output?
What brand and model is your audio receiver?
Thomas W

Postby brentduke » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:17 am

The Relay is an NTE Relay and the part number is RSI-ID4-21.
Yes is it only connected to one output from the receiver.
I have tried to run this out of my computer but get absolutely nothing and from my receiver it has to be turned up all the way... The receiver is a Sony DAV-HDX265.
Forever Fun!
brentduke

Postby JMACgyver » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:48 am

Are the lights you are wanting to control AC?
If so, you will need some sort of boost circuit between the audio source and the relay.
Your relay lists as 3-24V, which with the voltage audio signals produce, will barely scratch the minimum threshold.
and don't forget, audio signals are AC, if you're connecting it to the DC input of the relay, your relay is getting only half the audio at any time, and will act funky (funky monkey!)
So now you know why only at the highest volumes will the audio's sinewaveform will trigger the relay.

Regardless, i would try a relay with a lower high-end voltage range, say, top it out at a 5v relay.

Maybe try a bridge rectifier at some point in ths process.

That being said, I may be wasting my breath if your lights are DC (like LEDs)
If that is the case, skip the relay and go with a transistor driver: add power source inline with the C or E leg, and bias the Base with the audio signal.
Let me know, and I'll try to edit this post with a schem if so.

Hope this helps!
--Electro--
aka The Other David
-------------------------------
"Of all the things I've lost,
I miss my mind the most"
- Ozzy Osbourne
------------------------------
JMACgyver

Postby brentduke » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:46 am

Yes my lights are AC. I do want the lights to act funky...haha. I have looked all over digikey and mouser and can't find a Relay with a lower voltage input unlass I spend like $300....any ideas? lol so how would I go about building a boost circuit?
Forever Fun!
brentduke

Postby JMACgyver » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:31 pm

A couple of possibilities are:

try just using an audio transformer in reverse; i.e., if it's a 10:1 transformer, connect the 10: coil to the audio, and the :1 coil to the relay. Keep in mind the current will be inversely proportional, so don't use too high a ratio.

Or, a simple voltage doubler using 2 diodes and two caps. Do a Google image search for "voltage doubler" and choose the simplest looking one. give that a shot and see if it does what you want.

I am very much like you: I can read and build circuits, but design is not my strong point... the guy who helped me here recently was user/moderator 'pebe'. great guy, very helpful. got me something that did everything I wanted at the time.

Just hope this is helpful,
--Electro--
aka The Other David
-------------------
"Bye-bye, boys!"
"Have fun storming the castle!"
-------------------------------------
"In Theory, the is no difference between practice and theory. In Practice, there is."
JMACgyver

Postby brentduke » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:29 am

Thanks. Got it working tonight. Used the voltage doubler idea. Now just need to make everything neat and make it fit in my box. Appreciate the help!
Forever Fun!
brentduke

Postby vermaram » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:20 am

This is nice topic.This is my first time posting here. I need help. I am using a SSR (solid state relay) to turn on and off a set of lights from the signal from my audio receiver.Thank you :P
vermaram

Postby badtzmarulol » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:40 am

1) Will this relay work for the project?!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KP ... OB9QIKR6CC

2) If I just splice a normal audio/headphone jack, I can then plug it directly into my laptop/ipod?
2+) If not, do I need an audio receiver to plug it into? If so why?
badtzmarulol

Return to Electronic Circuits Help