Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Battery Powered Lantern

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Battery Powered Lantern

Postby adyonfire4 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:48 am

Guys I am a Mechanical Engineering Student and i want to make a battery powered lantern which can help me and my friends to study when the light has gone.Since i have no previous experience of making such a project can you guys please advice me in this process.

Please tell me the material required-
Batteries(preferbly Lipo Batteries)=?
others=?

Thanks,
Aditya Agrawal,IN.
adyonfire4

Postby I_Daniel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Okay so your are studying for an Engineer so a bit of experimenting would seem proper. Check out this circuit diagram; connect a non working flourescent tube, that is the glass must not be broken only the filament is burnt out. Strap the contacts on each side. i.e make the two contacts per side one contact per side. Connect the output of the stun gun to the ends of the tube. The first circuit diagram should be used since it does not use special transformers and it is an easier to build design.

http://stungunreviews.tripod.com/stun-gun-schematics.html

I found this advice under Free Energy Sources and they say a thousand volts or more does the trick. The stun gun is said to deliver 1800 Volts so be careful and use rubber gloves when you set it up and of course never try to connect a tube while the inverter is running. I think you will have to remove the variable resistor R5.

Using a 12 Volt battery a brighter light and a much higher output voltage will result without damage to the components as listed.

This appears to be a cheap and efficient way for emergency or even normal lighting.
I_Daniel

Light system.

Postby adyonfire4 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Actually my plan is to make a light system which is working on battery power
when light goes if i m studying.So light is there for about 2 hours atleast .The conclusion is a simple light system consisting of a battery,light source(tube,led) and finally a source to charge that battery and connect that to the light.Thanks.I hope you will be definately having a solution.
adyonfire4

Postby hoeebbiz » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:29 am

Did you ever consider a fluorescent light, like you can get at Sears in the battery powered tool dept.? They use a 19.2 volt battery. Batteries are pretty cheap, rechargeable, and can also be used in their flashlight or other tools. I have used the fluorescent light and flashlight for many years during power failures and roadside repairs. Just a thought.
hoeebbiz

Postby I_Daniel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:38 am

Surfing on the web I found some emergency/standby flourescent tube designs. Unless this a project for your studies, why re-invent the wheel ?
It sometimes cost more to built it yourself than to buy it.

If you were to use a neon tube transformer and an oscillator at 10 to 20 KHz, then as previously indicated an old broken - not cracked - flourescent tube can be used at a few milliamps current draw. The tube will still works without the heater elements and unless the glass is cracked or the mercury vapor somehow leaks out it will work for an estimated 20 years or more. (Manufacturers don't like this, no profit, no work, no pay for employees, more jobless people - so if there is no programmed obsolescence then economy and jobs will come to a standstill - occasionally the theory and practice are in fact the same).
My reference to a shock-gun was to indicate the type of oscillator circuit you should be looking at. Think of those 7 foot tubes; They run off 750Volts, one connector each side.

I used an old discarded bus flourescent tube light, changed to transistor to a 2SC4242 from an old PC power supply and replaced the 0.047 Mfd capacitor across the emitter/collector of the transistor with a 0.01 Mfd. This gave me a higher frequency and output voltage and I lit up an 18 Watt flourescent tube with this 11 Watt design at no extra current draw. With a 12Volt, 7Amp hour battery you should have light for about 3 hours.
I_Daniel

Return to Electronic Circuits Help