Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Need help designing a circuit for my BMW

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Need help designing a circuit for my BMW

Postby e38 driver » Sat May 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Hello,
I joined here looking for some help designing a circuit for a switch on my 2001 BMW 740iL.
These cars come with traction control. There is a dash switch that you can press after the car is started to turn it off.
There is also a "track" mode that removes the throttle retardation part but keeps the braking activation. To access this mode after starting the car, you press the control button and hold it in for aprox. 10 seconds. when holding the button the traction control dash light comes on and then after the 10 sec. goes off and you are in track mode!
The switch is a momentary push button and just connects two wires together sending voltage to the traction cpu.

One of the old guys on my BMW forum had a schematic at one time that supposedly would do this. I believe it had a capacitor and a diode in it??????
The member is now gone as is the schematic.
All it did was connect the wires together for 10 seconds or so every time the car was started. Effectively setting the traction mode to the track position.
This is a link of another guy who built this for a different year and model of car. I thought this might help.
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/780791

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestion to do this?
I can check any voltages at the switch if need be.

Many thanks,

D.J.
e38 driver

Return to Electronic Circuits Help