Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

Help! Oscillator build...bit unsure of the schematic!

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

Help! Oscillator build...bit unsure of the schematic!

Postby Blunderland » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Attached is a picture of a circuit of a reasonably simple 555 oscillator that I attempted to build from this website:

http://www.scottmetoyer.com/archives/simple-555-synth

The line with LED is where the output for the speaker I think should be. The two wires which you can't see what they're attached to is a 100k pot replacing the 10k resistor on the schematic.

Before I plugged into the speaker I added the LED to that see if the circuit worked. It didn't come on and it also felt like the breadboard was warming up underneath....not a good sign!

I'm brand new to electronics and really can't see where I've gone wrong, I've put everything on the lines of a breadboard like I've been told to do. I don't know whether I should've put things in a different order? Also I used a 9v battery as apposed to the 4.5v it asks for but I checked to see if the parts could handle the extra voltage and it seemed fine but could this be a problem? Also as I'm brand new, I'm not a 100% that the grounds are in the right places.

Can anyone see where I've gone wrong? I'm brand new to circuits and I'm really quite stuck!
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 9328 times
Blunderland

Postby pebe » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:07 pm

It's difficult to see. You have a couple of wires going out of the picture frame.

There does not seem to be any way the LED is getting power because its pins are in adjacent holes in the same row.

No battery leads are shown. Have you got them the right way round?

Can you give a circuit instead of the picture of the board?
pebe

Postby Blunderland » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 pm

The wries going of the screen is where the pot is attached. In the line with the LED I assumed that it just needed to be on the same line to receive power. The wires connected to the jack output where plugged in to the two holes directly right of the LED, I thought this would just be the line for the output. The battery was connected to the top left hole under the black (-) line and the red (+) hole beneath that.

Sorry I'm very new to electronics and it's not quite sinking in how this circuit should work.

Would a picture from a different angle help?
Blunderland

Postby pebe » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:20 pm

I can see it OK from the picture, but it's a pity the pic is so large. It needs a lot of shuffling of the side and bottom sliders with a mouse to see it all.

It all looks OK apart from the way the LED is wired. Current must go from pin3 of the 555 through the 3300ohm resistor, through the LED, and then through the other wire to battery neg.

To correct it, move the wire that is plugged in next to the LED, to the row above. Now also move the cathode of the LED into the row above (the cathode is the wire next to the flat on the plastic side of the LED).

But with the timing components given in the link, the 555 will oscillate at audio frequencies and the flashes will be too fast for you to see with a LED.

But the LED should light. If so, and if the brightness increases if you temporarily connect pins 1 & 2, then you can assume it is working correctly.
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help