Electronics Forum

Electronics Circuits & Projects discussion forum. Get help with electronics.

100V Constant Voltage Amplifier

Discuss about electronic circuits here. Request help for circuits that you couldn't find anywhere else, how a circuit works etc. Discuss anything related to electronic circuits.

Moderator: pebe

100V Constant Voltage Amplifier

Postby JoshMac » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:20 am

Hi Guys,
I am familiar with standard low impedance (4 & 8 ohm) amplifiers but not so much with 70/100V.
I have been reading as much as I can find about the. The speaker end seams pretty straight forward and I understand the concept, and their limitations, but I am not 100% around the amplifier side of things as the information is limited and the info I have found is not very detailed. The key components of an amplifier I guess are likely the same if not very close between the two amps, amplifier circuit along with filter caps, but when converting the normal low impedance speaker output to 100v, is it a simple matter of using a PA line transformer in reverse? So the amp is connected to the Low Impedance side of the transformer and the output of the transformer is then connected to the high impedance (see the picture below).
100v.png
100v.png (2 KiB) Viewed 6617 times

I just am having trouble believing it would be something this simple, things rarely are. I understand that I cannot exceed the output power of the transformer on the amplifier unlike your normal low impedance where you cannot go below due to the danger of blowing your speakers if the volume is increased.
Any thoughts or information is welcomed with open ears (and eyes).

Thanks,
Josh
JoshMac

Re: 100V Constant Voltage Amplifier

Postby pebe » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:09 pm

PA systems in buildings such as factories need to provide audio outlets throughout the building. A noisy factory floor will need loudspeakers with quite large power to overcome the high ambient noise, whereas its associated offices will have quite modest needs.

The simplest way of doing this is to provide a high voltage audio feed throughout the building and tap off the required amount of power with a transformer. That is basically the same way that mains electricity is cabled round a home to provide power for lighting and TV etc.

Each outlet will have a transformer that will reduce the 100V line to whatever voltage is required to give the required power to any given loudspeaker impedance. A typical transformer would be like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100V-LINE-TO- ... 484612fd30

I hope that explanation helps.
pebe

Return to Electronic Circuits Help